Thursday, September 07, 2006

Daisy Rose???

There have been some questions as to why I chose Daisy Rose to be my name. If you know me you know that I am not really girlie or frilly. So why such a flowery name?
Well, daisies and roses are my two favorite flowers. Daisies are so fresh and bright. And roses smell so good and are romantic.
I figure if Bruce reads this blog than he will always know my 2 favorite flowers.

On a different note...

I am finally finished filling out all the paper work for the surgery.
I tell you what. Can any of you recall every diet you have ever been on, what you weighed when you started, how much you lost and how long you were on the diet? I had a hard time, but I did my best to fill in the information accurately.
I have to say, though, that tracking what I ate for a week was harder than I thought it would be. I looked back over my list and saw that I don't eat many veggies and I eat a lot of carbs. It is very humbling to be honest with yourself and put on that paper that you had 3 ice cream sandwiches on a particular day. (did I say that out loud?)
On Wednesday I had a doctors appointment with my GP. I wanted to know what he thought of the procedures, if he knew the surgeon, what he thinks of the hospital, and if I could do my follow up care with him?
My GP had only good things to say. He was very encouraging. He said that the procedures, gastric by-pass and lab-band, have both been found to be very successful. That it is up to me to decide how invasive I want my surgery to be. He said that the surgeon is the best in our area (and he assured me that he wasn't just saying that because they went to college together). He said that the hospital is a little iffy, but that the surgeon runs a tight ship in his department and my GP believes that the surgeon is quite reliable. My GP told me that if I had come to him asking about weight loss surgery, he would have referred me to the same person.

We did decide to put me on the diet pill phentermine. We did this because I have not been on a doctor supervised diet, since I lived at home. My GP pointed out that some insurance companies won't approve you for weight loss surgery until you have done a 6 months doctor supervised diet. So, we are in hopes that this will get a jump start on the insurance company.
Doctor told me that there are two possible side effects to this diet pill. If I take it too late in the day, it could cause insomnia (phentermine is a stimulant). If this happens he said to take it earlier in the morning. Also he said that it can increase my blood pressure. He said that my blood pressure was low enough that he wasn't concerned (Chalk that up to good genes, thanks mom). I have to go back in a month to have my blood pressure checked, just to make sure that every thing is still ok, and weigh in.
As I was leaving my GP told me to keep doing what I am doing (Curves 2-3 times a week when I can), and to keep pursuing the weight loss surgery.
Needless to say I am very excited. I see this as one step closer to my goal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And here I always thought dandelions were your favorite. :)

Nice to see your blog.

Tam

Anonymous said...

hi trish
nice job
Granny

Celestial Freak said...

It's always so encouraging when you know the doc is being honest and forthcoming about everything involving you health. It's good to know he has so much confidence that this is all right for you too.